Looking to use up those random Christmas leftovers? Try my recipe for Mincemeat and Ice cream pie
This is a quick and easy recipe that uses up lots of Christmas leftovers that you might not know what to do with. I’ve given rough estimates on the ingredients, but don’t worry about being super precise. I’m definitely a chuck it all in and hope for the best kind of girl when it comes to cooking. This is definitely one of those types of recipes and you really can’t go too far wrong with it. Once set, I recommend cutting the pie up into portions, wrapping in clingfilm and the popping back in the freezer. It can be tricky to cut once it’s completely set.
You will need
- Approximately 250grams of biscuits – any left over ones will do!
- 100 grams of melted butter
- Approximately 500ml to 1 litre of ice cream – any flavour that you think would go and that you want to use up (or just vanilla soft scoop would work well too) The more ice cream you use the deeper the pie will be.
- Any leftover mincemeat (sweet) that you need to use up – you could also use any leftover fruit from making the Christmas pudding or Christmas cake.
- Any Christmas spices that you need to use up
- A cheesecake tin
- Before starting, take the ice cream out of the freezer to start to soften up.
- Make the base by crushing the biscuits either in a food processor or in a bowl using the end of a rolling pin. Add the melted butter and press the mixture into the cheesecake tin. Pop in the fridge to set while you make the filling.
- Now the ice cream should have softened slightly, combine in a large bowl with the mincemeat, any fruit you wish to add and spices to taste.
- Add the Ice cream mixture to the biscuit base and smooth out. Cover with cling film and pop into the freezer to set.
- If you plan to serve this dessert whole, remove from the freezer around 10 minutes before serving.
- If you plan to serve in portions, remove from the freezer after around 2-3 when the ice cream has reset but is not too firm. Cut into portions and wrap with clingfilm before returning to the freezer.
And that’s it. A quick and easy dessert to use up some of those Christmas leftovers. It will keep well in the freezer for around three months and is great for a last minute treat as it’s already pre-portioned. Always leave for a few minutes for the ice cream to soften up before serving.