Now the weather is getting cooler and the nights are drawing in it’s time for some proper comfort food – Like this homemade Leek and Potato Soup.
There is so much to love about Autumn. The beautiful colours, crunching through leaves and most importantly the promise of Christmas. And while the nights may be drawing in and the temperature dropping that means it’s time for some good old fashioned comfort food.
Leek and Potato is probably my all time favourite soups. Warming and filling it’s perfect for chilly Autumn evenings. I like to spice it up a little but by adding Stilton Croutons.
For the Soup
1 Large Leek
2 Pints of Stock (can be chicken or vegetable)
Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Croutons
1 sour dough roll
4 thin slices of Stilton
Method: The Soup
1.I hate food waste so actually left the skins on my potatoes, but I know some people will prefer to peel which is fine. Dice and boil in water until soft. You could also use leftover mashed potato.
2.In a separate pan gently fry the onions and leeks until soft and translucent.
3. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and add to a large pan with the leeks and stock and bring to the boil.
4. Once boiling, remove from the heat and Blitz using a hand blender. Season to taste Either Serve immediately or set aside to reheat and eat later.
Method: The Croutons
- I used one sourdough roll between four for the croutons but pretty much any bread would work.
- Slice and lightly toast under the grill on each side
- Add a small slice of Stilton Cheese to each crouton and return to the grill until melted and bubbling
- Serve whole placed carefully on top of the soup